SureAdhere Mobile Technology began as an initiative at University of California San Diego, and was focused on developing a novel smartphone application to facilitate video directly observed therapy. In 2015, the company officially launched, and has since been implemented across the United States, Mexico, the United Kingdom, Vietnam, Uganda, the Philippines, Haiti, Ukraine, and Kyrgyzstan. The SureAdhere app and platform were specifically designed to tackle the issue of TB adherence as an advancement over traditional directly observed therapy.
How it works
SureAdhere is a simple, asynchronous system that allows patients to utilize a mobile application to record and send videos of each medication dose ingested. This video directly observed therapy (VDOT) system creates a date and time stamped video of each adherence event that the healthcare providers can view and respond to accordingly.
SureAdhere has been scored below according to it’s ability to serve the TB market for low- and middle-income countries (LMICs) along Fit for Purpose and Technical Specifications metrics. Note that higher scores equate to a greater ability to serve the market. For example, if a product scores well in the Provider Burden subcategory, that means that the burden for the provider is low.
For full descriptions of the sub-categories, see the 2021 DAT Market Landscape.
Fit for purpose
Barriers to Entry100%
- Asynchronous system allows patients to record videos, which are automatically send when they have internet connection. Providers can view at their convenience
- Highly accurate solution, the “adherence event” logged is the patient taking their medication
- Designed specifically for TB medication adherence
- Patient must be equipped with a smart phone and some level of technical acumen
- Providers must view each dose to confirm that it has been taken